Thursday 14 March 2013

Review of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pages: 435
Publisher: Penguin Classics
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenReleased: 1813

Plot: When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited, while he struggles to remain indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life. (Goodreads)

(Slight spoilers-so be warned!)
Thoughts: I really loved this book! If I'm honest I was a little sceptical at reading it first simply because I didn't think I could handle reading such a delicate romance without getting bored but I couldn't have been more wrong! I really loved Elizabeth's character. I thought she was headstrong, at times funny and very much ahead of her years in terms of her character developing towards the modern. The story is plotted well and at no time whilst reading did I feel that nothing of specific interest was happening. Everything felt...right, as though each event and character played a vital part to the story which in some books I have read recently isn't a common feature. Although at first, like many, I was sucked into believing that Darcy was an arrogant fool but as the story develops and more secrets and truths are revealed I ended up seriously falling for his charming character.
Jane AustenI think this is another reason why the book is so well... relatable. Each character develops an actual personality and as the reader we see more clearly these 'sides' to the characters as Lizzie changes her opinion on the figures that surround her due to specific actions and twists within the plot. I think because the themes titled still resonate with today's society it is why the book is still very entertaining and a factor that makes each character likeable to some extent in their own way as each are faulted and make mistakes yet learn to overcome their prejudices.
Overall  I am pleasantly surprised by this book and would definitely read it again. 5 STARS!


To Sum Up: I cannot recommend this book enough, I absolutely loved it and you can tell why it has become such a classic among society. I have yet to see any of the film adaptations of the book though I have been watching The Lizzie Bennet Diaries web series which I posted about a couple of days ago.
Loving this author though and cannot wait to read more of her novels.

Any recommendations on which Jane Austen novel I should read next leave in the comments below :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...