Monday 3 September 2012

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Pages: 260
Publisher: Harlequin UK
Release: October 2012 (already released in other countries.)

Plot: When Lily leaves a red moleskin notebook in her favourite section of a bookshop containing dares and instructions for its reader over Christmas she never expected someone like Dash to pick it up.
Taking the challenge, Dash and Lily pass the notebook over to each other each time filling its pages with their deepest thoughts but never actually meeting. Will Dash and Lily finally meet? And will they both be what they were expecting?

Good Points: I really loved the plot, I thought it was original and from reading the online summary I definitely got hooked into reading it .
 The book alternates between Dash and Lily's perspectives and includes their diary entries to each other, this helped you get a feel for each character and their lives straight away which I liked and the whole back story behind the idea. Which by the way, leaving a red moleskin notebook on a bookshelf for someone to find and communicate with you, like Lily does has seriously given me some idea's and made me want to do it too. But somehow I don't think it would end up quite the same.For one, I think Lily was very lucky in getting Dash and not some old man, which would have been a little more than awkward if or when they would have finally met.
The messaging between the two is lovely and heartfelt and you get wrapped up in the story waiting for them to finally meet each other. Small complaint (which should really be in the bad points but, hey.) I think the two co-authors missed the opportunity to play up the dares a little, which considering the title lacked a little.

Bad Points: This book could get a little annoying at times. I thought Lily's character was much more believable than Dash's who seemed to feel the need to quote books frequently and just throw a name or phrase out there to prove himself smart. It was a little like Starter for Ten by David Nichols in that sense however Brian knew he was doing it only to seem knowledgeable
Also whenever there was a slight mention of something for example Dash liking yogurt it seemed it would be the centre of the next part of the conversation- "What you doing here Dash?", responding with "I ran out of yogurt.". It may just be me making a big deal out of something so trivial but it annoyed me.
Also maybe I'm just a little too old for this book but I didn't really find the humour that funny in it either.

To Sum Up... This book is sweet? if that's the right word. Set during Christmas this definitely gets you in the spirit for the winter soon and the whole plot and idea of passing the notebook from one another was quite refreshing. Although I wasn't overly enthusiastic about this book I would say that it is a good read and worth checking out if you find yourself in need of a quick feel good book.


2 comments:

  1. I loved this book!!! It's one of my favorites! The synopsis is exactly what caught my eye. :)

    Wonderful review, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...