Sunday 26 August 2012

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Pages: 301
Evermore (The Immortals, #1)Publisher: St Martins Griffin
Released: February 2009

Plot: The first book in Alyson Noel's Immortals series. After a terrible incident kills sixteen year old Ever Bloom's family she is left with the power to see people's aura's, hear their thoughts and know their story simply by touch. Living with her aunt, Ever tries to keep contact with others to a minimum though still spending time with the ghost of her dead sister.
All this changes however when Damen August walks into her life.

Good Points: When I first read this book I absolutely loved it. I thought the whole concept was fun and unique, seeing the aura's of others and the relationship between Ever and her sister Riley were just fantastic. It was nice that despite Riley being a ghost they still fought like siblings.
I remember reading this book after Twilight and when I first picked Evermore up I liked how it drew you in to believing that it was  about Vampires because of the whole immortal thing and red juice that Damen drank. Even the character contemplates the idea. I thought this helped provide a nice surprise when we find out this isn't the case.

Bad Points: Ever can be so whiny at times within the book. It really got annoying after a while and the book did play to the whole 'I'm an outcast but really pretty, someone get me out of my shell' plot that I know teens are drawn too and like to find themselves wishfully relating to. I really wish she would have just stood up and act a little more stronger because I have to admit I seemed to be rolling my eyes a lot at the stupid stuff she did.
Also the amount of times Damen is described as Beautiful, dreamy and other exaggerated and angelic qualities is disturbing... disturbing I tell you!


To Sum Up... Basically it's your typical teen book. Or ticks most of the things a teen book includes- outcast, romantic hot hero, something supernatural and a cliffhanger that attempts you wanting more. The plot isn't that bad, at times the story was really good and I have to admit I did get a little hooked.
It's an easy read.
On the other hand this is one of those series's that I have grown tired of. The books just keep being churned out to further the series but all they seem to be doing is make me loose interest each time.


1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this book and going through it pretty fast.
    I definitely agree with your bad points thought. Ever is super whiny and annoying. She was also pretty selfish too. And every time I read about how beautiful Damen was - GAG. Way too overdone and, like you said, disturbing. I especially like that you pointed out how these books keep being churned out. There's not much to even support it at the start so the fact one book after another keep coming out is tiring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...