Friday 8 June 2012

Frey (The Frey Saga#1) by Melissa Wright

Pages: 243
Publisher: Kindle Edtion (self published)
Frey (The Frey Saga, #1)Released: July 2011


Plot: Frey is an Elf who lives in a small village with her Aunt after the death of her mother. Unaware that she has been bounded to prevent her from using her magic, however something unbinds her and Frey soon finds herself on the run with a group of strangers and the mysterious Chevelle, her watcher, from the council who bounded her from the first place. Will Frey be able to control her dark magic though or will she find she was better off bound in the first place?

Good Points: I really do love the cover and it was one of the aspects that drew me into reading the book. I thought the second half of the book was better than the first half in developing the characters a little more and I liked the general idea of having the diary to accompany the story. I thought the plot was okay however I thought at times there was something missing that made me think this book was 'good' instead of 'great'.
However I have to admit that I did think the ending was super and had a certain Lord of the Rings quality to it which I liked, so therefore I will be looking out for the next books by Melissa Wright.


Bad Points: I just felt that this book needed more dialogue and interaction between the char caters especially in the first half of the book. I just thought that after a while, especially whilst they were making their journey that Frey doesn't ask many questions and it sort of dragged out. Also I think the author missed the vital opportunity to allow the reader to really get to know the characters personalities at that point. Even a little something would have been better. Also before reading the book I looked on Kindle Character list and I thought the way how some characters were referred to such as Steed as 'Hilarious' didn't really match the character in the book and so I was a little disappointed as it wasn't what I had expected.(maybe that's just me though?)

To Sum Up... I'm still unsure about this book. I could see elements to the book that were really good however a lot of the time I felt as if there was just something missing from what I was reading. I think the plot needed a little tweaking and maybe more dialogue between the characters to make things a little more interesting and I thought it was just a little too fast paced as at times I did kind of get bored of the long narrative passages of Freys character constantly questioning herself and missed some of the things that were going on.

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I am looking forward to those in the future.

    Please follow my blog back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You definitely should, I really enjoyed 'Taste'! Like your reviews as well and just followed you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...