Thursday 24 May 2012

Review of Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Pages: 454
Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: May 2012

Plot: 'What if their were teens that lives actually depended on being bad influences'.
Anna isn't a normal teenager, she can see and feel others emotions with her 'sixth sense' and can't help but feel that there is something dangerous fighting within herself. Then she meets Kai and finds out the truth about the past she calls her 'dark days'. However Anna soon discovers that she isn't like the others and her tendency to be good puts her in danger of 'working' for the demons and Dukes who fathered them.
Can Anna control herself, or will her Horns replace her Halo?

Good Points: I liked the idea of the book, the main characters and the 'mortals' within the novel were interesting and I genuinely enjoyed reading about them. I also liked how the book didn't fall into the category of making it a fairytale happy-ending-sort of book and there were definitely times where it became quite dark when referring to the back stories of the Neph children which at times were heart breaking. I thought the pacing of the book was quite good and it slowly built up tension and excitement throughout and I have to admit that the book did make me longing for more however, I felt Sweet Evil had something missing...

Bad Points:  I don't know what it was about this book, but I just felt a little disappointed in the end. The plot built the tension and danger up and up making me expectant of a huge shocker ending however was utterly disappointed to be met with a weak ending in my opinion. Also at times Anna could annoy me as well, I know the author wanted to reflect Anna's 'goodie-goodie' side however at times I just thought that it was a little too far- fetched.
Anna's adopted mother, Patti, was another character that I thought was weak.  At the beginning she's all protective and fearful and then the next minute she's allowing her 16 year old daughter who lets face it is more naive than a fluffy bunny to go on a long road trip with a boy she's only just met. I mean come on....


To Sum Up... Okay, If I'm honest despite these annoying little points I did like the book, (but not the cover) and where it is possibly leading in the future books within the series (although please not another love triangle -_-) and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the characters that we have only briefly met are developed into the plot. Hopefully the next book will contain a little more action and Anna might actually get to use the secretive sword. Definitely worth a read though if you like paranormal romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...